Japan, Sendai Mission

Japan, Sendai Mission

Monday, September 22, 2014

Monday, September 22, 2014


On Monday, September 22, 2014 Sister Johnson wrote:

Well, this week was AWESOME!!!!! It was one of the best weeks I have had in a while, and for that, I am so thankful. On Thursday, we had district meeting at the church and when we walked out, there was a woman standing in the entry looking into the Chapel. I recognized her instantly; I had seen her walking down the street near our apartment a few days before. I ran up to her and introduced myself and we instantly clicked. Her name is ---- and she is originally from Sendai, but she married an Italian man and now lives in Austria. She speaks Japanese (obviously), Italian, and German. ---- said that she had visited an LDS church once when she lived in Italy and she really enjoyed it, so she came to see ours! She was in Sendai for about a month visiting her parents, and she actually is a member of the Protestant church that is just down the street from ours! She is an organist and so she plays in church when she comes back to Japan to visit. Well, we got talking with ---- San, and she opened up to us that she has really been struggling lately and that she is really scared about the future. She is 49 years old and doesn't have any kids. She is also at a point in her life when she has to get a job and help support her husband, and she is just feeling really scared. She told us that she had been feeling suicidal. She told us that the very day we met, she was thinking about jumping from her parents' sixth-floor apartment, but that she didn't have the courage to do it. After we sat and talked with her for a while, she said that she felt something different from us, she felt warmth and love, and that because of meeting us, she was able to feel a little more hope in her heart! So, we made an appointment to meet with her again the next day, and then the next day! We were able to meet with her three times this week! Unfortunately, she left to go back to Austria today. But! We got all of her information and we are going to send it to Austria so that the Church can get in touch with her there! It was a miracle three days! Oh man. I can't even express the joy in my heart that Heavenly Father trusted George Shimai and I enough to be in the right place in the right time so that we could help ----. She is such a beautiful person, and I am so grateful for the opportunity I had to help her feel love from her Savior and from her Heavenly Parents. She needed me that day, and through following the Spirit, I was able to meet her needs. I am so, SO sad that she had to go back to Austria, but I know that the seeds that were planted in her heart had a BIG effect on her. I will forever love ---- San. I am so grateful for the opportunity that we had to cross paths. What a beautiful blessing. It was so wonderful to have someone to teach and to love and to focus on. It was what George Shimai and I needed.

That was the biggest miracle this week. There were also lots of cool things we did! On Saturday night, we went out with Mitsuru, Ai, and Kosuke (some friends) and we ate cow tongue! Oh my gosh, it was DELICIOUS. You have no idea how good it was. It was super fancy, a kind that is especially famous in Sendai. It was awesome, probably the best food I have had in a long time. We also got to spend time with three of my favorite friends. It was a really good time.

This weekend, I got kind of sick. Well, I got sick. We got home from church and I slept all day and all night and woke up this morning feeling better! Thank goodness. I am doing well now though, so nothing to worry about.

Well, the time is coming down close to the nitty gritty! Only six weeks left in Japan! I got a letter from my dear friend Tatiana (who lives in Ishinomaki!) this week that was full of support and encouragement. She told me that when she was in her last transfer, she set a goal to place a whole box of Books of Mormon. Having a goal to work towards helped her stay focused, and it helped her and her companion work more in unity and have more love. This morning, I reread her letter and was thinking about what kind of goal I could set to help me stay focused this last transfer... I am still in the thinking stages, but I know that as I create a revelatory environment for myself, the Lord will help me set a good goal.

I know my Savior lives and that He loves me and you! I hope that you always remember that.

Love you!
Love Shak

No comments:

Post a Comment