Japan, Sendai Mission

Japan, Sendai Mission

Monday, October 21, 2013

October 21, 2013

On October 21, 2013 Sister Johnson wrote:

Thank you so much for the package!! I loved it so much! Japan actually does have Halloween, and we are putting together a BIG party for Eikaiwa that night! It is going to be so fun! My companions loved their socks, and they send their love.

You would not believe how cold it is here in Aizu! This last week was bone-chilling and there wasn't very much sunshine. I am grateful for a good coat and boots to wear. And from here on out, it will get colder and colder and colder. Fun stuff!

I LOVE Brad Wilcox. SO MUCH. He gave a talk called "His Grace is Sufficent" in 2011 that gave me a whole new understanding of the Atonement and of the Savior. You should watch it. It's great. It was at a BYU devotional.

So, things here are good. We were able to find two investigators last week! One is an 81 year old woman named Kawashima San, who can kneel and talk for three hours... My knees were dying. So much. But she's awesome and I love her! Our other new investigator is Kawashima San's daughter, Hirano San! Hirano San is in her 50's and is so much fun! She is a professional chef and Japanese tea artist (that will be so hard to talk about....) and is so nice! Then, Hirano San's daughter is one of my students in my English class! Last week, Kawashima San, Hirano San, Hirano San's (other) daughter, and her kids all came to a church activity we had together! There were FOUR GENERATIONS of that family there together! How awesome is that?! I've been thinking about that a lot, and I KNOW that there is SOMEONE in their family that is ready to accept the Gospel. We will be able to see miracles with this family is we follow the promptings of the Spirit and invite them to come unto Christ with love and peace. I am so happy about this.

This week, we got to teach lots and lots! Something that I've learned about teaching is that it is just testifying about the Savior, His nature, His love, and His doctrine, and testifying about the Restoration. My main purpose is not to spew information; my purpose is to invite others to come unto Christ, and I do that by inviting the Spirit into the heart of the person listening to me. It's simple, really. Everything about Christ is simple. I love that.

On Wednesday this last week, Tohoku (Tokyo) had a crazy big typhoon! All of the missionaries in the Sendai mission were ordered by President Rasmussen to stay in the apartment all day, so it was basically like a day off, haha. We did our regular study schedule, and we cleaned really well, we organized our area book, and made an Eikaiwa poster to hang up in businesses and stuff, and then we got bored, so we drew funny faces on ourselves with eyeliner, and then I took a nap! It was a good day.

I am anxious to see what happens in this next transfer! This week is the last of this transfer, and so I will know by next Monday morning what will be happening! I'm very excited, and very nervous and overwhelmed! I have lots of relying on the Lord to do.

Oh! I found out that I will be returning on November 14th of next year. So that's cool. Only a year-ish left! Wow.

I love you!

Love Shak

No comments:

Post a Comment