Japan, Sendai Mission

Japan, Sendai Mission

Monday, July 22, 2013

July 22, 2013



On July 22, 2013 Sister Johnson wrote:

Hello my friends and family! Thanks for the love!

So...J-Pop is hilariously weird. One of the most hilarious things ever is seeing a Japanese gangster in a low-rider Prius blasting Japanese gangster rap and eating a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken. HAHA! Seriously, I almost fell off my bike, I was laughing so hard.

This week, I ate my first disgusting thing! It's called Okonomiaki. It's a cabbage pancake, smothered in mayo and the Japanese equivalent of BBQ sauce. Absolutely gross. First, my companion made it at home, and then we went out to eat on Saturday night, and I had to eat it again. And my companions eat theirs with octopus. Gross! But, it was fun. There are pictures of that. So, I think you would be thoroughly impressed with my chopstick skills! I am getting so good, and members are always surprised when we go to their houses for dinner. They always offer me a fork, to which I politely decline, and then amaze them! Haha.

This week, we also had our first earthquake! Wow! It was super small, I just noticed my desk move a little bit, but it was way cool! Fun times. The rain is still here. We had two days with sun last week, which was very nice. But, this week, only Wednesday. I am so grateful for the sunshine. I also have a pretty funny watch tan-line, which has never happened before. I think I'm finally used to the humidity though! I don't even notice it anymore, unless it gets really really hot, which hasn't happened in a while.

Something that's weird about Japan is riding the bus! It is CRAZY expensive! To ride the bus for 20 minutes costs about five dollars. WOW. I was blown away. So that day, I spent ten dollars on bus money. Crazy. But it was good, because we were about to talk to a really sweet girl and get all her contact information. Hopefully her mom will agree to let her meet with us. Her name was Keina-Chan.

Yesterday, we had someone at Church! YAY! Her name was Ui-Chan, we met her on the street. She said that she only came because she had a homework assignment, but it still was so great! The young women were incredible too, and they loved her immediately! It was a wonderful experience. Hopefully, she will agree to meet with us so we can talk more. She's way cute.

My ward is pretty wonderful. There are more members here than the Capitol Hill ward! It's unbelievable. You would not believe the amount of youth we have here. There are like twenty young women and ten young men. It's so awesome, and they are all so fun. We go to seminary with them once a week, which is hard and early, but it's fun to bond with the youth.

I love my district! They are great. The Elders are so much fun and they are such good examples of hard workers! I hope that my companionship will become more like them soon. Tui Shimai and her companions are also in my district. They are serving in Tagajo, but they are with us. So that's fun! I get to see her once a week. Tonight we have our first real teaching appointment! WOOHOO! Finally! We are teaching a man named Akazawa-San. We stopped him on the street two weeks ago, and we were finally able to set an appointment with him. YAY! Happy. I am not teaching as much as I would like... Hopefully that will change soon. I am constantly praying for someone to teach.
My testimony of Jesus Christ has been tested, that's for sure, but all is well. I am trying to access the deepest most abiding powers of the Atonement to find strength , and it's amazing the tender mercies I have found in the scriptures and all throughout the day. The Lord is well aware of me, and so are my Parents. They look after me. I am finding great strength in my temple covenants, especially when I have to bike up a big mountain. Strength in my sinews.

I have started the Book of Mormon over again! This time, I am marking anytime the Savior is mentioned, if He speaks, and His attributes. It's absolutely INCREDIBLE how many times He is mentioned, and I am not even done with first Nephi yet! Wow! I love the Book of Mormon. I hope that you will pick it up and find some much needed light within it's pages. I know you will, just as I do.

I love you all so much! I hope you know. I also want you to know that I am doing well and I am happy. :) I am grateful for a great mission president.
I finally got some stamps, so expect some mail soon.

Love:
Shak Shimai

No comments:

Post a Comment